February 20, 2016

Favorite Travel Apps

So far I am not the travel app expert I'd like to be. Typically I like having my plans on paper in my hands. I'm trying to cut away from that for weight, environmental, and organizational reasons. I have a Droid so I may not have the same as most of you iOS-device-owning people out there. Here are the few I do use:

TripCase
I LOVE this app! I just got it for my trip to Pittsburgh last weekend. You can plan you trips outs, including flights, car rentals, hotels, attractions, and it keeps up with all the details for you. The best parts I have found so far are it updates you immediately with flight changes, you can share your trip itinerary with others, and you can combine trips if you plan a side trip. The app alerted me to flight delays sooner than the board at the airport! I share my itinerary with my husband so he gets the same alerts via email I do without having to download the app. I also share my trips with my mom so she can keep up with what's going on. I like the combine trip function because when we have layovers sometimes we extend them into miniature day trips. Plus, when you add an attraction you can enter the address so a little map pops up and helps you out with directions.

Airbnb
I just got this one for our upcoming trip to Boston. It's a cool idea: sort of like a matchmaking website for those with rooms to rent and those who need a bed. The service really focuses on safety and community. Have any of you used this before? What are your thoughts on it? I'm glad my husband is with me. Maybe I watch too many cop shows...

AFAR
First off, I'm OBSESSED with this magazine. I also love getting to read real-life accounts of people's travels. It allows a look through the tourist's and local's point of view. You can post your own highlights right from your phone! If you're not already reading it, I highly suggest the magazine. #traveldeeper

Google Sheets
Maybe this is my "teachery personality A" coming out, but I love this for creating detailed itineraries, contact information, and other useful info all in one spot. Plus, I like that I can share the details with those back home and then update as changes are made. It also helps down on all the papers you have to carry around. The actual trip attractions and such you can add to TripCase, but I have fur babies and I want their emergency info out there. Plus, I like know that my family can see my whole trip laid out just in case, especially when traveling out of the country. Again, maybe too many cop shows...

Audible
I love reading. But sometimes, it's too dark or too loud or my eye lids are too dog-gone heavy! Audible is nice because who doesn't like being read to? They have some awesome book selections like A Walk in the Woods, Into Thin Air, Into the Wild, Dark Places, Winnie the Pooh, whatever your heart desires! I haven't used any other audio book app before. But I do like how it remembers your place if you have the app on two separate devices, say tablet and phone.

Do you have any apps for traveling that you suggest? Let me know in the comments below! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment