March 6, 2016

Family Vacations pt II: Russia & Germany 2007

Россия!

In July of 2007, my family and I went on a mission trip to Russia. There, we were able to tour around St. Petersburg for a few days. Our mission took place in a small town about 2 hours south of St. Pete called Luga. We stayed in Russia for a week. On our way back we were able to turn a layover into a mini-vacation in Germany. We flew into Frankfort and then stayed in a city called Wiesbaden.
What can I say about a trip nearly 10 years ago? My memories of it have faded. Here's some of what I do remember:
  • wanting to learn Russian
  • the gorgeous weather, even with the afternoon showers
  • how green all the plants were
  • the potholes in the road
  • how everything looked like a bad 90's movie
  • all the USSR (CCCP) merchandise for sale
  • Catherine the Great's Palace
  • pondering with Pushkin
  • the Eastern Orthodox churches
  • experiencing public restrooms in Europe (tip: the t.p. is before you go inside)
  • the borscht
  • eating pizza in Germany
  • boating down the Rhine
  • drinking beer with my stepbrother (legally!)
Since pictures are worth 1,000 words, here are a few I took.
common sight driving down the Nevsky Prospekt
St. Isaac's & the typical cloud cover we experienced. St. Petersburg, Russia
St. Petersburg Square
road in Luga, Russia
with Pushkin
Street in Germany; in or near Wiesbaden I believe

No comments:

Post a Comment