March 29, 2016

Why Study Geography?

On top of the world on the "real" Mitad del Mundo


So why study geography?

First- let’s test your geography knowledge with this quick video.

How did you do? I got 2/3. I had no idea about the diameter of the Earth. It was way smaller than I was expecting!  But hey, you learn something new every day!

My students always want to know- why is it important to study geography?  When are we going to learn about wars and history and the interesting stuff? Why are we studying geography in social studies? We learn about the earth in science!

So why is it so important to have a strong foundation in geography? We have Google Maps and Google Earth at our fingertips. We can find locations easily enough. No one uses paper maps anymore; everyone uses a GPS or their phone via internet, data, or downloaded maps. They’ve removed the reference section from ITBS because the skills to use a printed thesaurus, encyclopedia, or dictionary are becoming obsolete. Is geography the next thing to go?

I remember sitting in one of my ESOC (social studies education) classes and us debating the purpose of geography as a course in middle and high school. Of course, we all thought it was needed, duh! Unfortunately, not many others find the importance of social studies in general to be equal to math or language arts let alone having an individual geography class. Geography gets lumped in to other classes which fall under the social studies umbrella. Then those classes get lumped together and voilà! Now you have the all-encompassing social studies, or social sciences, class.

These days I teach all the aspects of social studies: geography, culture, human geography, history, government, economics… I find my lesson very geography heavy. Why do I try so hard to push this field on my students? Am I going at my whole class wrong? I decided to, you guessed it, research! Here’s what I found about why we should be teaching geography.

Basically, geography is MORE than, “What is the capital of Turkey?” Geography breaks down into five basic themes: Location (where a place is), place (what a location is like), human-environment interaction (how humans impact the environment and vice-versa), movement (how people, ideas, and things get from one location to another), and regions (what places have in common). Geography connects us to our world and to one another. It provides a connection to the evolution of people’s cultures and ideas. Geography allows us to have spatial reasoning between people and places. (So it seems my geography-heavy curriculum is a strong approach to the content. Yay!)

The U.S.’s geographic knowledge is very low. I mean, we have all seen the clips from Jay Leno. Check out this compilation video. I’d be so embarrassed if that were me and even more embarrassed if this included one of my students. I would feel I had failed them.

I remember in high school reading the paper about the “War on Terror.” The beginning of the article was a blank political map of the Middle East and asked where Afghanistan was. Honestly, I had to look it up on a map. (This was before I could ask Siri or Google like my students do these days.) How sad is that? Our country was sending troops over, my own cousin lost his life in the conflict, and I couldn’t even tell you where it was. Recently with everything happening in Syria and the U.K. voting to leave or stay with the E.U., I strongly believe that knowing where these countries are (location), what they are like as far as human geography and climate (place), help students not only understand better what is happening but have a stronger connection to the people. That’s important in developing empathy and creating better global citizens of the future generations.

Are you still not convinced? You still need a reason or two to study geography? Here are 22.

picture source



No comments:

Post a Comment