March 21, 2016

Touring ≠ Tourist

It's a traveler's fear: being mistaken for a typical tourist. White socks, sandals, khaki shorts, fanny pack, Hawaiian shirt, map in hand, all topped off with a bucket hat. So how can you avoid becoming this stereotype? Simple: do your research. Not only will these tips help you blend in, but they can also help you avoid some major blunders.

  • Learn the Language

Even if foreign languages are not your forte, learning how to properly pronounce certain phrases and place names helps locals understand you. Nothing reads tourist as much as assuming every other country speaks English.
This can also be helpful when you are trying to understand others. We had to take a subway in Russia across St. Petersburg. Since Russian not only sounds different, but is also written in Cyrillic, we could have gotten very lost very easily while traveling without a translator. Fortunately, my parents had taken a few Russian lessons so they could recognize the alphabet. We also all rehearsed our destination name again and again so that way when we heard it announced over the loudspeaker we'd know that was our stop.
Anywhere you go knowing how to properly say please and thank you can go a long way.

  • Learn Cultural Norms and Faux Pas

In Russia I learned that when walking down the street eye contact is usually avoided. If it does happen then it's not followed by an awkward yet polite smile like in the U.S. Russians also don't typically smile in photographs. There was a lot of not smiling actually. I also learned to not photograph the government buildings. That was very different from my previous trips to D.C.
In Ecuador when women greet others they do one cheek kiss on the right. That took a minute to adjust to since I'm used to the handshake or just a smile and a nod.
Learning these little things about a country help you feel more at ease and help you blend in.







Displaying 4ef23dd1cfaacccb5b32034ef0d205af.jpg
Displaying 4ef23dd1cfaacccb5b32034ef0d205af.jpg
  • Know What to Expect with the Climate

Please research your destinations typical climate. I have failed on this front a couple of times and regretted it.
Please learn from my mistake.
On our of our summer family trips to Colorado we drove to the summit of Mt. Evans which is about 14,000 feet. My aunt warned me to bring a jacket, but it was mid-July! I was 16 and knew better. Well, we arrive at the top, me in my Soffe shorts and t-shirt, to rocks covered in snow. Let's just say, the pictures look ridiculous.
My trip to Ecuador I did some research beforehand. I was, however, in complete denial. I mean, Ecuador, equator, it's warm year round, right? It is but not in Quito where I spent most of my time. Fortunately I had packed a light jacket, a hoodie, and my stepmom lent me her nice rain jacket. Without those I would have been very unprepared.
Some places you go you have to pack for the unexpected. Soon I plan on going to Iceland and the weather there is supposedly very temperamental, even in summer.

  • Learn the Locations of Places

Know where places are. Walking around a city holding a map looking lost is not the best impression for locals to see. This can even be dangerous because it puts a big target on your back. Go into a coffee shop or restaurant and map out your route there. Depending on the country or city where you are even this could be too out in the open. If at all possible, learn the locations of places you want to go beforehand. Or use the privacy of your hotel room or vehicle to map it out. If this isn't possible, use your phone. I suppose that's what most people use nowadays anyway. You can always take a picture of the tourist map and refer to it that way. It will at least make you appear as less of a target which is worst to be thought of as than a tourist in my opinion.

  • Be Willing to Try Local Foods

Eating locro (potato soup) outside of Quito.
"When in Rome do as the Romans do." Don't be too quick to snub local cuisine and head for the McDonald's nearby. Sometimes the best things you eat are things you might never consider at home. Through this I've learned cuy is not for me, but roasted grub, alpaca, and borscht are delicious.

  • Learn Local Places and Do Your Best to Avoid Typical Tourist Traps

Let's face it, pretty much no matter how hard you try you are going to stick out a bit. Unless you are a real chameleon. If you are one please let me know your secret. But if you want to experience a country, I highly suggest going where the locals go. The tourist traps are appealing and may be the reason why you are even there. But those places tend to get pricey quick. Plus, they also get a bit kitschy or completely water down the culture. Don't get too comfortable too fast, especially if you don't know the language.
While in the Dominican Republic we only left the resort twice. Once to go on a zip-lining excursion and again to go back to the airport.
Cuzco we walked around the city and ate at local restaurants without the tour guide. Cuzco felt safe and we didn't stray too far from the hotel. Plus I felt my Spanish was strong enough, Hubs's sense of direction is great, and Cuzco is used to foreigners walking around. I would have never done something like that in Russia without a local or translator. Trust your instincts.
_______________________________________________________________________________

Please do your research and travel safely. A big part of that is blending in. Please don't completely let your guard down, especially when traveling alone. Being a traveler, a smart traveler, does not have to convert you into a stereotypical tourist.



picture source


No comments:

Post a Comment