March 26, 2016

Summers in Boston: 2005 & 2016

beautiful Boston from the ferry
I love this city. I have only gotten to go once before with my aunt when I was a young teen. My aunt had lived there right after her college years so she and her old roommate showed me around one week in June. We did some “touristy” things like visit Harvard, walked through the Commons, went to Long Wharf, took a ferry to Georges Island to see Fort Warren which is a Civil War prison (very different story telling methods than what I grew up with in the South!), and enjoyed the city views from the 52nd floor of Prudential Tower, aka the Pru. We walked some of the Freedom Trail and toured through John Adams’ and Louisa May Alcott’s homes. It was a major heat wave that week and those old, low-ceiling houses are definitely not built for those high temperatures. I didn’t think it was that big of a deal. I mean, summer is supposed to be high 90s and humid, right? The three of us even hopped in the car one afternoon and drove up to Maine for a lobster dinner by the water and fresh blueberry pie. Maine was gorgeous as well! I have that on my list of domestic must-sees. Maybe via the AT?

Adams' home
the Pru- don't you love digital camera picture quality from early 2000s?


This summer Hubs and I are going back to Beantown. Well, it’ll be his first time there. This time we get to put together a slightly different itinerary than I did as a teen. We bought tickets to a Red Sox game! They are my favorite American League team. I have seen them play only once before, but not at Fenway! I've been advised by an MA native to try out Cask 'n Flagon. We are also looking forward to grabbing a beer at Cheers on Beacon Hill, previously known as the Bull & Finch Pub, where (obviously) Cheers was filmed! Very “touristy,” I know, but I’ll do my best to blend in with those damn yankees. :P We will only be in Boston for three nights total over an eleven day period because it’s our layover on the way to and from…. ICELAND! More on that trip coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment